Our Services

Carnets - Frequently Asked Questions

How long will it take?

We can provide a 24 hour standard service or a two hour express service.

What is a Carnet and why might I need one?

The Carnet is a temporary export document that eliminates the need for a Customs declaration at border points and the deposit of a guarantee, bond, or cash deposit in the country of temporary importation. It can be used for a trip covering more than one country and include numerous exits and re-entries in the country of origin during the period of validity of the document (i.e. one year)

Are there any specific requirements/limitations for certain carnet countries?

Yes. Please refer to the reverse of the Security Rate Chart.

Why do I have to provide a security?

The Carnet provides a guarantee to the Customs of a foreign country into which the goods are temporarily imported that all duties, taxes etc will be paid to them if the conditions under which they allow these into the country are breached.

Do I have to be a member of the London Chamber to have a Carnet?

No, as Blairs are the designated agent of the London Chamber we can process all the paperwork on your behalf.

Can I sell off a Carnet?

No. You sign an Undertaking with us to undertake to bring the goods back to the EU and failure to do could result in a payment of duty, taxes, administrative charges, as well as a penalty.

Can I put consumable goods on a Carnet?

No. Everything on a Carnet must be returned to the EC.

What information do you require?

Apart from your company details the most important part of a Carnet is the List of Goods. All the goods must be individually itemised with each item having its specific description (i.e. serial number etc) to facilitate Customs identification and prevent substitution of goods. Only the items with identical description can be grouped together. Blairs can prepare the paperwork on your behalf if required.

Are there any Customs prohibitions and restrictions?

The use of an ATA Carnet rather than customs documentation makes no difference to the need to meet Customs requirements for restricted and prohibited goods nor does it remove the requirements of licensing controls. Information regarding prohibited and restricted goods can be found in the Tariff, Volume 1, Parts 3 and 4. For information on export licensing, please contact: The UK Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS) Licensing Unit at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Can I get ‘Extra Vouchers’?

Yes. Additional vouchers can be obtained from the issuing office with a repeat fee payable.

Can I extend the validity of a Carnet? (Replacement)

No, but you can obtain a Replacement Carnet subject to written consent from the host Customs Authority. This must be submitted to the Issuing Chamber together with a new set of forms, issuing fee and security.

What happens if I lose my Carnet whilst valid? (Substitute)

You can obtain a substitute Carnet which will be identical to the original Carnet. A repeat fee and security will apply.

Can I add extra items to the Carnet list?

No. Once a Carnet has been issued no extra items can be added to the list of goods.

My carnet has been issued but I’m not taking all the items with me

Any combination of items on the General List may be taken, however, you must ensure that only the items that have been taken are declared on the relevant Carnet vouchers / counterfoils. In cases of split consignments you must ensure that your Carnet contains a sufficient number of vouchers for the planned movements.

What happens if my goods are lost or stolen?

If goods are covered by a Carnet are lost or stolen, the matter should be immediately reported to the Customs Authorities in the country where it occurred, together with a police report for insurance purposes as Customs charges will apply due to non re-exportation.

Can my goods be destroyed under Customs control?

Some Customs Authorities may allow goods to be destroyed under their control. This process must be reflected on the re-exportation counterfoil and the voucher must be retained by the host Customs. It should be noted that Customs charges may still apply.

Do I have to come in person to arrange the Carnet?

No. You can apply online, but we welcome clients to pop in in person!

How do I authorise someone to apply for and use the Carnet on my behalf?

A Carnet may be issued in the name of an individual or a company who must be permanently resident in the United Kingdom. However, it may be used by any person provided the user carries a letter from the named holder authorising such use (see example of letter on our website). The holder may also allow an Agent to handle the Carnet through the customs on his behalf, again provided that the Agent holds a Letter of Authority. Box B should contain the statement: “Any Authorised Person”.

What does Goods in Free Circulation mean?

In accordance with EEC Regulations 2913/92 and 2454/93, the Carnet will be issued in the European Community only for Community goods. N.B. Goods should be re-exported without having undergone processing or repair, except normal depreciation due to the use made of them. Normal Customs documentation must be used for the exportation of goods by post. For this purpose Community goods mean goods: A)obtained in the EC B)released to free circulation, or C)obtained or produced in the EC, either from goods referred to in B) or from A) and B).

Can I use a Carnet for transit alone?

In principle the use of an ATA Carnet to cover transit operations only cannot be authorised as it was created for the purpose of temporary admission. Nevertheless, we are exceptionally allowed to cover a transit movement through Switzerland between two member states.

How much will all this cost?

Call us now for a competitive quote. As London Chamber of Commerce agents we can offer you great savings over other Chamber prices.

To find out more, please get in touch…